- We are not here to debate whether racism exists.
- We agree that racism exists on a structural, institutional, interpersonal, individual, internalized, and ideological levels. We are all complicit in racism in some way.
- Agree not to blame ourselves or others for the misinformation we have learned, but to accept responsibility for not repeating misinformation after we have learned otherwise.
- Agree to respect others. We are not here to debate anyone's lived experience.
- Agree to raise your hand (or state "stack" in the chat box) when you want to speak unless otherwise specified.
- Keep in mind that no one should be required or expected to speak for their whole race or gender. It is not possible, nor necessary.
- Take responsibility for and accept the consequences of your words.
- Be willing to keep an open mind: It is likely that some of your beliefs will be challenged by the group, we hope that is why you are here.
- Equality pertains to all people with NO exceptions.
- If you have a tendency to dominate discussions, take a step back, and let others participate. If you haven’t said much, you’re invited to participate more
- Hold each other accountable. All of us are growing and evolving, and nobody gets things right all the time. We all agree to hold each other accountable, even those people who are leading our sessions.
- Continue to do the internal work outside of these discussions to dismantle racism
*Credit: these rules have been modified from UCAR's publicly available resource for discussions